Tuesday 24 October 2017

Preschools: Helping Working Parents Since Forever!

I recently moved to the upper west side of Manhattan and got myself a nice home overlooking the Central Park. I had lived in the Queens for over 20+ years, so I knew all about New York. However, actually moving to this part of New York to live here was an entirely new experience. My new job at Union City across the river was a good opportunity to move into the busiest areas of Manhattan.

One of the most important thing that needs to be taken care of is finding a nice and tidy preschool for my 4-year-old daughter. As a single mom, it is way too difficult to leave her alone in the day while I go to work. I had her enrolled in a preschool back in Queens, but now the uphill task was finding her an equally better preschool in the west side.


I asked my new neighbors about a couple of recommendations, and everyone had something different to say. And the fact that most of them had kids in secondary and high schools did not help either. So take the help of the good ol’ internet, I started to make a list of all preschools in the west side of Manhattan.

There were a couple of schools that had great reviews, so I made a final shortlist of preschools that I’ll be visiting and decide to make a decision in the next couple of days. My work hours ranged from 10 am to 5 pm, so I decided to take a day off work to devote an entire day to explore the preschools. I also had a list of all the facilities that a good preschool should possess, a list that I ripped off an article on the internet.

The first two schools were fine but lacked some faculty and staff members. I moved on to the next one in the list, one present in the Amsterdam Avenue and enquired about the staff, pricing, facilities etc. The school was pretty attractive, and the teachers seemed very friendly. The best part was the fact that it was situated only a few blocks away from my home.

I enrolled my daughter in there the next morning and dropped her off before I left for work. It didn’t take long for her to make new friends, as evident from her energetic outbursts when I picked her on the way back home. What would I do without preschools, I wonder!

No comments:

Post a Comment